The Catenary Press is pleased to announce the release of Alice Notley's Secret I D.



Secret I D
Alice Notley
5 1/4" x 7"

ONLINE SUPPLY: SOLD OUT

To purchase a copy of this title (and others) PLEASE VISIT OUR TABLE AT THE AWP BOOKFAIR in SEATTLE


 

TELL ONE THE LANGUAGE


I write for those who don’t read my poems.
Somehow you read them
            Because I’m inside your secret I D
Tell me, tell me what to say
            The language breaks, Momma
On the way to the pink landscape and
                                                       Johnny’s
Taking the other road.  I’ll never daunce
            the boockles off ma shoes
The most erotic song in the language
            is still Greensleeves
Are there any couples on the Ark or only
                                                        word dust
I’m tellin ya
I wanted you to love us more.  Why
            if I’m givin you my
Whole self Savior We want of you to
            sing to us the new,
Sing it     hitting it any ole way
As has or hasn’t been.  In any
            fair tense
Will there be lives in the future This
is the future Is it a life No A song.
            No    though I can sing it
I write for those who will never
            read my poems
This is the language of the apocalypse
            tender and humorous
as doves or crows or omicrons
No one has ever loved you more And
            that’s the new
That I’m in you in the new Apocalypse
            in your nonfragile I Ds
-->
TELL


Alice Notley is the author of over twenty five books of poetry. Mysteries of Small Houses (1998) won the Los Angeles Times Book Prize, and her collection Disobedience (2001) was awarded the Griffin International Poetry Prize. Notley’s recent work includes From the Beginning (2004), Alma, or the Dead Women (2006), Grave of Light: New and Selected Poems 1970-2005), which received the Lenore Marshall Poetry Prize, In the Pines (2007), Culture of One (2011), and Songs and Stories of the Ghouls (2011). In addition, she edited and wrote the introduction for the reissue of Ted Berrigan’s The Sonnets (2000), as well as editing, with her sons, The Collected Poems of Ted Berrigan (2005). Her honors and awards include an Academy Award from the American Academy of Arts and Letters and the Shelley Memorial Award from the Poetry Society of America. She has also been a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize. She has lived in Paris since 1992.